'c' is for Percatory


Holy Grounds...even when the power is out


Long ago and oh so far away (sounds like the song of a carpenter), I began a love for old percolators. My sister introduced them to me. I love them so much that smoking cords and lost parts could not make me give them up. For the perfect cup of coffee there are a few essentials that are a must.

1. Percolator that is at LEAST 40 years old.

2. Filtered or spring water.

3. Great beans, preferably Mystic Monk (brewed by real monks in Wyoming).

4. Patience.

I've been brewing like this for at least 18 years and for the last 12 years have been the 'coffee lady' at my parishes RCIA. Along with sharing the love of God through coffee there has been a deep longing to have my own Catholic coffee pub if you will. A beautiful cozy spot that's as welcoming as your own home filled with books, great conversation, and of course an old percolator on every table. This place in my imagination pretty much named itself. 'Percatory' would be a place with a 'friend' registry, but no one leaves their own name. Everyone would be welcome to enter the name of a loved one who has passed and the employees of Percatory would pray for these suffering souls in Purgatory. Percatory would be just a 'sip away from Heaven.' (As an aside, Purgatory was one of the biggest hurdles for me when I was converting to Catholicism. It helped me to think of it this way: You gotta wipe your feet before you walk in the door)!

Sadly, I don't have the financial means to entertain my dream of a coffee pub, but I can, with the help of my blog, share my love of coffee, seely (think holy simplicity) friends, writing, laughter, prayer for dear loved ones, and most of all, love for God. I sure hope you'll join me on this pilgrims trek. Please feel free to send me names of your loved ones who have passed on. My seely friends and I will do our best to bring them to Jesus most merciful heart as we share a cup of coffee together. Please keep us in your prayers too!

Comments