Musings of a Mediocre Soccer Mom~by Angela Barth



The Reed of God by Caryll Houselander


“Failure!  Fraud!  Less Than!”  Those were the words my brain screamed as my husband and I sat with the “popular” parents at my daughter’s soccer banquet last night.  They didn’t do anything to make us feel unwelcome and we had polite small talk, but then the conversation turned to one of my least favorite subjects in the entire world. . . travel soccer.  My husband and I sat at the table silent, like it was junior high and we were at the wrong lunch table.

False thoughts can make us feel alienated

Obviously the subject was not inappropriate since we were at a high school soccer banquet, but it’s a topic that I find parents obsessively talk about no matter who is in the discussion circle.  My children didn’t play travel soccer because I refused to spend every minute of our free time going from practice to practice or out of town for tournaments. I didn’t want to answer every “how are you doing” question with “busy.”  I am a firm believer in free time and some of my children are not even interested in travel soccer.  Yet, in standing by this decision, I feel I have alienated myself from potential friends and my children from bonding experiences with their classmates.  I don’t even enjoy watching soccer, and I worried my decision was based on selfishness, and inhibited our connections in these soccer social circles.

How do these feelings of soccer unworthiness translate to my faith?  I was reading Caryll Houselander’s The Reed of God before I went to bed that night, and one passage served as a balm to my anxious and depressed mind.  Page 102 reads,

 “Christ always chose the purest and simplest material things as the means of giving His grace, which means giving himself.  Think of the things He used to make our life sacramental: water, oil, salt, wheat, wine, and words.”


All at once, I felt validated as a parent and as a child of God.  I don’t have to feel unworthy because of my children’s lack of extracurricular activities.  Christ makes the simple sacramental.   The feelings of inadequacy I have do not come from the other parents or Christ; they are my own demons telling me more friends, more accomplishments, more, more, more, will make me lovable to Christ.  But Christ wants lowly, plain, so He can elevate it to holy.  My worth in the eyes of Christ has nothing to do with participating in what the world finds important. 

I don’t regularly obess over travel soccer, but the experience at the banquet served as one of the many catalysts that magnify my feelings of worthlessness.  But, I need to embrace those feelings and transform them into something more beneficial, mainly humility.  Because no matter how many travel sports my children play or how many parent friends I have, I cannot come before Christ unless I am simple.  It is only through this lowliness that my life operates according to God’s plan and not my own.


Comments