If the Good Lord gives You a Root Beer Float...



Recently I took our daughter to where she takes Irish step dance lessons . They are held in the basement of a little office type building. As I waited for the hour to pass I began to get hot. Being the age I am, this was one of those from-the-inside-out hot flashes. Thinking that I must get out of there, I ran out to my car and sat with the windows down for the cross breeze. Not more than five minutes had passed and I thought this would be a good opportunity to pray my rosary. I had only gotten as far as listing my intentions, (some of which have been of worry to me) when I noticed a van pull up and stop right behind me, distracting me from prayer (and at my age it doesn’t take much for my mind to wander). I looked. Is that my neighbor I see in the rear view window?  Why is she just sitting there, blocking my car, and looking down? Slowly, she begins to back up and I wave out the window to catch her attention, which seems to startle her. She pulls into a spot but doesn't get out, as she continues to look down. My curiosity is up as we so rarely run into each other these days even though we are neighbors. Then, she puts the car in reverse and begins to back up toward me again. What is she doing? Getting out of the car now she's holding something, as she walks up to my car window and as she comes near she says with a smile, 'Hi, would you like a root-beer float?' I love them but at my age I would normally turn it down because, well, it just doesn't come off like it used to.  “ What”, I laugh,” are you doing here with this root-beer float!'  Well the story is that she went to the drive thru and her order was messed up as she ordered 1 float but they gave her 2. She took it anyway and thought she would give it to the next nice person she saw (thanks for thinking I'm nice!). As she pulled away, she spilled some of it on herself and needed to pull off of the road to clean up and it just so happened that she pulled into the parking lot where I'm praying a rosary about things I need and having a hot flash. Just… so… happened. I gladly accept my friends offer and as she pulls away and I go back to my prayers, I remember that God is concerned for every little thing, and I mean EVERY little thing I bring to him. There is nothing for me to worry about. Nothing! Sometimes we give Him our cares and wonder if He's listening. And sometimes, He answers the littlest cares so that we know without a doubt, He knows it all, He wants to take care of it all to the smallest detail. So Lord, Thanks for the Root-beer float and also for my dear friend the messenger.  You both made my day!

Comments