A Very Light Roast...3 Dog Night

Loving the Cold by Betty Parquette
One of my uncles (may he rest in peace) was a great lover of the Yukon and enjoyed yearly trips. I recently came across a newspaper scrap I had saved which offered his opinion peace on global warming trends. My dear uncle was never one to mince words...

"Meteorologists have a lodge in the middle of Death Valley. In the cool of the morning they have two or three tables of euchre going. One brave one plays it alone. His partner goes out and checks the temperature. By noon its 120. Meteorologists call this global warming.

Like to move them up to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory in mid January. Twenty below is considered a heat wave. Men scurrying around town in shorts. Towns full of pick-up trucks. Beds full of huskies, not firewood. Nights when it's 20 below or lower, it's called a two-dog night. Minus 50 and lower, is a three dog night. Sleeping, they pull another dog on top.

Grave digging is put on hold from October to Memorial Day. Bodies are stored in a shed at the lumber yard, stacked like fence posts. Friends, after having a few belts, are free to go down to the shed and pay respect to their old friends.

The day before Memorial Day you'll see a group of men pushing wheelbarrows filled with sticks of dynamite headed for the cemetery. A territorial mounty runs a steel helmet up the flag pole. The natives scurry around town in army surplus helmets. Pick-up beds are empty as huskies are under the trucks to avoid the shrapnel. The air is filled with flying chunks of frozen earth.

These theorizing meteorologists should spend a May in the Michiana area.

Global Warming-Bah humbug!"

Now, I love my uncle and his take (I like to think I get some of my humor and writing skills from him), but in all fairness there may be some naturally occurring change in our weather. I also believe that the native people who live the land have more to say about the topic and should be listened to a bit more than the politicians crying about cow farts (and living in 2-3 homes and flying in private jets). Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJgncvo2-7M. It's worth a listen too.

Just one thing I'd like to add to my uncle's rant. "Would all of you standing on the Left take 3 steps to the Right please?"

Comments