Status Check


Unto us a child is born..

Seems like ages ago I was working in the first responder field. I received pleas for help, did triage, and sent officers where the need was felt the most. Often times it took time to unravel the hurt and to bring peace. One element of that job was to constantly check on officer status, making sure of their safety and sending additional help when needed.

As a mother we all have a deep seated desire in our heart to help our children, kiss the wounds and bring them peace of the soul. For me, someone with a bit of OCD and the additional training where that would come in handy, I'm finding that all these years later the need to check my kids status is still close to the surface, even though most of them are adults. I also am realizing the need to let some of that go.

With no knowledge of anything possibly wrong, we welcomed our beautiful granddaughter in this holy month of Our Lord's birth.She was however full of internal ills which needed immediate attention. Less than 24 hours old, she was airlifted to a major children's hospital and surgery scheduled for the following day. From the moment we knew the need, we have been pleading with the Lord and asking for Ven. Fulton Sheen's intercession.

God has answered every plea in His time, yet I still want to call my son and ask their status. How are you? How is your sweet daughter? Any change yet? This is a moment by moment thought that I constantly need to hand over to God. He's got this, and I know that, but I still want to ask. But the thing is, I think I've got this upside down. It's God who is using this precious time, to deepen our faith, our hope, our trust in Him. It's really God stating to us, "Status Check"! Am I trusting Him? Do I open my heart to His Peace? It's not that He doesn't expect me to be human. After all, He came to share that humanity and our pain.

So, yes, I can cry, but as I do, I need to hear Him asking my status. And I need to respond, YES! SEND HELP! And I know that He will. This is what He wants us to do; to lean on Him, to trust that He's got this, and to accept His Peace in a new way. And this I do...every 10 minutes or so.

This Christmas, as we receive the Christ child who came to share every joy and every sorrow in utmost humility, can we answer His call?

What's your status?

Comments