Chivalry and the Lost Soul

 

Blessed Matt Talbot ~ original art by Reese Parquette

It was just after the noon bells on a beautiful, clear day in Lent. I brought my truck to a halt near the front doors of the Cathedral. As I gathered my things for the 12:15 Mass, movement caught my eye. 

Not the slow, graceful movement of a fluffy passing cloud, nor of birds in flight, ready to alight on the church facade.

The slow, staggering dance of a young man, having drank his fill before the noon hour was seen before the Cathedral steps. With all the delayed movements of a lost intoxication, he fumbled; trying intensely to put something into his inside pocket with no success.

As I exited my vehicle I noticed a woman sitting in her car. She caught my eye with a knowing look; fearful of crossing paths with this lost soul. With a look of relief she got out to follow me in for Mass where God was calling us in.

The poor, staggering man too felt a draw. Even in his foggy condition he stopped what he was doing and headed up the Cathedral steps, disappearing from our sight beyond the doors.

I too headed up the steps; the woman following a few strides behind. Entering the outside doors I had every intention to grab the inside church doors for the unknown woman. I stopped and looked around. 

The dear lost soul had made his circle round the vestibule and was heading out. As he opened the outside door he stopped. Even in the condition he was in, he held the door as any gentleman would for the woman following me. 

There was nothing to fear from him. Nothing other than the fear of engaging someone in their lost state. 

He showed the quality of a gentleman of which I rarely see anymore and now I see him moving; albeit staggering, and being drawn in, closer to truth than he realizes.

That day I was blessed to witness the chivalry of a lost soul drawn to his maker. There seemed to be more hope for him than many in the world, drunk with their own ambition. I hope I never forget him. He reminds me of Blessed Matt Talbot of Ireland. A drunk who told his mother he'd taken 'the pledge'. He was a man of his word but only with the help of God; of kneeling before the church steps each day before work for there he would find his strength to keep that pledge. 

Blessed Matt Talbot, pray for this chivalrous young man. May he find the peace which can't be found at the bottom of a bottle. There is always hope.   

Comments