The Road Less Travelled


Our Lady of the Highway sign

I remember as if it were yesterday. Looking back nearly 20 years has gone by as quickly as the signs on the highway. 
I relaxed in the passenger seat as my husband skillfully maneuvered our SUV through the swift traffic of I55 toward St. Louis.
I watched the farms and fields fly by as I mindlessly gazed out the window.
That's when it happened. That's when I saw Her.
She stood on a pedestal atop a wall of stone.
Majestic she looked as with folded hands she looked down at me...at us...at every passerby.
As if being drawn by some unworldly voice calling to me I found my hand raising gingerly to my forehead,
then to my left shoulder, and again to my right.
I did it....a Baptist girl...made the sign of the cross!
"What did you just do??" my shocked husband exclaimed!
Oh yes, silly me. I thought I had been pretty slick, making this gesture as quietly and subtly as possible.
Nothing gets past a Trooper though...what on earth was I thinking?
"Well, it can't hurt...right?"
True, it certainly doesn't hurt but for someone with my upbringing it was a fairly scary and poorly executed slight of hand. 

I remember as if it were yesterday. I made that Sign of the Cross, hoping and praying for the longing in my heart to come to fruition. And now, as I've made that prayer thousands of times over as a Catholic, I can honestly say my cup, the longing in my heart and soul, is full and spilling over. 

She called me that day, silently bidding from the highway and not just any highway. 
She called me from the Old route; the one less travelled. 
Rt 66 is fondly known as the Mother Road. 
It was THE route for travelers back in the day. A day when families traveled and explored together.
It was a dangerous road with many tragedies.
And so it was, youth from the area wanted to bless the families who traveled this narrow road.
More than 63 years ago they scrounged and saved for a beautiful statue of Our Lady who would be there for those who desired to pray for safe passage and ask Her intercession.
Those dedicated young people collected $1,000.00 for the Carrera marble statue ($10,444.00 in todays dollar).
Our Lady of the Highway was dedicated in 1959 and has been interceding for everyone who has asked Her intercession and as I can attest, for those who haven't yet asked. The youth had May Crownings and rosary walks often together. I like to think that back then when I was just a babe, they were praying for me.

Though I've looked for Her each time I've passed that way, I never stopped to take time with her to linger a while and pray. 
That changed a few years ago. She called to us again as we began a long trip out west. 
Though She is weathered from years of storms across the farm fields, She is to me as beautiful as any marble tribute to her in the basilicas of Rome.
I see the road she is on running parallel to the faster, wider road and I think of the Road Less Travelled. 
The road that Jesus tells us we need to be on.
Mary is there. She waits for us on this road. She walked the narrow road of Her Son. She longs for us to stop and pray with Her. We don't always know the way to go but She wants to be our guide, and Who better than She?

I travel this road weekly now. It has become hard as I traverse to be with a loved one; my sister in hospice care. And, because I don't know the soul of the one I care so much for, I take her to Our Lady. 
My sister and I have not always been on the same path, in fact they have been quite different. One could say we haven't really known each other for quite some time. 
So I stop at Our Lady of the Highway and ask for Her prayers. I ask Her to be with my sister, to guide her on her via dolorosa, her narrow path.
Over the months Our Lady has been with us and our relationship has been restored, or better yet, remade. 
It's a path that is both terrible and joyful, yet, I wouldn't want it any other way. 

As I stop and pray, I see the cars and trucks hurling by. I ask our Lady to intercede for them, to call them to the Road Less Travelled. Come back...come back to the narrow road...
The Mother Road
 


 

Quick Facts: Located at 22353 W. Frontage Rd, Raymond, IL. Project of the Litchfield Deanery Youth beginning in Jul, 1958. Ground breaking Feb. 11, 1959 and blessing by Fr. Heintz. Blessing of the statue on Oct. 25, 1959. On the property of the Francis Marten Farm (daughter part of the Litchfield youth). Two parking spots on either side of the Marten Farm drive are part of the original roadway of the old Rt. 66. The Carl and Tim Marten families continue to maintaine the shrine. Carl was 6 years of age when the shrine was dedicated. Original 'Hail Mary' "Burma Shave' signs are now located in the Marten Family tractor shed (a Mass was celebrated in the shed for the 50th anniversary) Youth met annually to pilgramage and pray the rosary together, meeting at the Goby farm just north of the shrine, traversing south. All are welcome to come pray at the shrine. Bring a lawn chair and a sack lunch. Restoration of the shrine has begun, beginning with cleaning the marble by JWS Artistic Inspirations. If you are interested in assisting (cost) with the restoration please contact Carl and Marlene Marten at cmmst@royell.org

Comments