Capturing Joy




"Louie" the gentle giant


Papa hello! What are you sketching today Papa!

Hello my dear boy! Ah...just trying to capture..


Capture? What can you capture with paper and charcoal? Eh Papa?

My dear you can capture the world...all of God's creation. 

It is there for the sharing

But...but something seems to be missing in my work today.


Papa, may I see what you're striving for?

Please?

Yes my dear son, but first go clean up.

You smell like a barn!


Oh Papa it's wonderful! Were you watching me in the field?

My boy I always watch you. 

I want nothing more than to somehow catch the joy on your face

Like when you entered my door.

But still...I can't quite capture that look...


Papa...sometimes we see with our noses.

Have you never really taken it all in?

Have you never pressed your face in

And let the the soft hair of the beast warm you?

Did you ever as a boy, ride in the field

with pure abandon full of adventure? 

And after the thrill of being one with God's creation,

Did you not bury your face in your dearest friends neck

And smell the sweet sweat...sweeter than hay fresh in the field?


That Papa is joy. That is seeing without eyes

And everything melts away and into a great heart 

Full of thanks.


Oh yes dear boy! It has been so very long...

I needed to see your radiance today to remind me.

I needed to hear you tell so well of what I'd almost forgotten.

I needed to hear the rapture in your voice as you tell me

Once again of seeing with my other senses.


What a gift you've given me dear child. 

Now maybe I can finish my sketch with due justice.


But then again, the sketch is coming back to life

In my mind.

This is a gift that can not be shared with paper and charcoal.

For this work of art, God gave us not eyes to see

But a nose!

Comments

  1. I love this! This is such a beautiful and charming reminder to appreciate gifts and blessings of God - especially things we don’t often consider gifts because they are taken for granted. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment