The Spectrum of God's Love


                                                                              By Guest writer Angela Barth

If you walk by my house on any given time of day, there may be screams emitting from it reminiscent of a gothic horror film. There are no innocent victims being tortured inside; they are simply the ordinary sounds of daily life living with a child who has Asperger’s syndrome. Asperger’s is part of the autism spectrum of disorders, and most individuals are high-functioning, meaning they are verbal, fairly self-sufficient, and can survive in the general education setting at school. However, they share a similar set of challenges such as rigidity in schedule, sensory sensitivities, and difficulties interpreting social situations. My son’s distress usually involves some sort of stimulus or misunderstanding that the general population is wired to process without invoking a reaction. Cold clothes, loud noises, saying “I’ll think about it,” and not having a clear schedule for the day are all things that could potentially cause a screaming meltdown that is mentally and physically draining to all involved.

Being a special education teacher, I feel I should effectively know how to parent a child with special needs. However, I find myself ignoring my son’s longing for schedules, alone time with me, and solitude because it does not fit my vision of raising a “perfect” child. Instead of being Jesus taking the cup God gives me, knowing His ultimate plan is for my sanctification, I’m rejecting it, thinking it just doesn’t fit with how I want my life to be. And I find myself focusing way too much on the cross of autism, and not on the resurrection that follows along with it.




Although public meltdowns can be quite embarrassing, my son has a gentleness and simplicity about him that is refreshing. He loves sports, but doesn’t need to be on a team to find his worth. Isn’t he the more rational one who plays for enjoyment instead of frantically being carted around from practice to practice? He sleeps in a nest of stuffed animals that he has created and says his plush are his best friends. As immature as that sounds for an 11-year old boy, how freeing to know what you love and not feel judged by societal expectations. And his vocabulary and non-stop observations of the world are his most endearing characteristics. We were on a recent trip to the grocery store, and he was talking about how much he loves his stuffed animals and said, “I’m a plush aficionado. How many 11 year old's do you think use the term aficionado?” I told him not many adults I know use that word, and then realized too often I let his negative behaviors instead of his gift’s, dictate how much I love him.

Slowly I am realizing my son’s disability is leading me down the path to holiness and humility. Daily I have to sacrifice to make sure my son is doing everyday tasks that most children do automatically. Daily I have to empty out my heart to Jesus and say, “Give me the strength to do your will,” even if that includes listening again and again to my son talk about his alphabetical list of cartoon characters. And in the middle of arguments and meltdowns, especially in public places, I pray to love my son how Jesus loves him. A disability is only a disability if it inhibits something. What my son’s disability inhibits is temporal, but spiritually it has given me the joy that only comes from fully emptying yourself out to others.

Comments