A Litany for my Seely Friends




Seely in Rome


Seely:  holy simplicity; holy silliness

I admit it. For a quite a long time in earlier years I looked for friends in all the wrong places. Wanting to be a part of the 'in-crowd', I followed them for far too long into dark and dismal places. Needless to say, it was destructive to me and to so many people around me. For as long as I can remember I prayed for friends, but when the answers didn't come I took matters into my own hands. The result of my impatience was that I had many people around me, but the loneliness increased.

We all have quirks. Maybe we're uncomfortable with them and we become experts at covering them up. Really, who wants to be laughed at? One of the keys to authentic friendship is to be at ease with those things that make us unique. Maybe we should be looking at our characteristics that seem flawed and see the possibility of them as a gift for others; of that oddity as a good. That being said, the named 'flaw' can be offered back to God, giving Him all of our little all. I have no doubt that He can and will perfect us and make our rocks into gems. Carrying on in this attitude allows us to put others at ease and lets them know they don't need to hide who they are. We can finally be ourselves and rejoice in it! Hallelujah! I remember distinctly when one of my sons ( he was quite the serious fellow) had the 'aha' moment and told me, "Mom, it's so much easier to laugh at myself." Amen to that son. And then by all means, share the laughter.

The best friend God has gifted me with is my sister-in-law. She has been with me through the toughest times of my life, prayerfully encouraging me. Moving hours away from her was such a hard challenge, but looking back I see God's wisdom. It seemed as though my husband and I were living in exile; our own sort of Egypt during that time. My desire for holy friendships increased during this decade of life, and though it was long and difficult, unlike before, I waited on the Lord. He did not fail to answer.

And so, to the Lord who never fails to hear us, I offer this Litany of Seeliness:

For my friends who love my quirks; Thank you Dear Jesus...
For my friends who challenge my fears...   "        "       "
For my friends who challenge my intellect while loving my simplicity...
For my friends who encourage me to see the gifts I didn't know I had...
For my friends who know that the best day includes a long, hard belly laugh...
For my friends who laugh with me at myself...
For my friends who are fearful but embrace a 'year of no fear'...
For my friends who want to hand me the mic...
For my friends who dance with me in the midst of our kids...
For my friends who  joyfully pray for my kids
For my friends who want to take 'selfies' with me (though we hate 'selfies')...
For my friends who sit with me in the trees...
For my friends who walk with me in the leaves...
For my friends who love with holy simplicity...

That my friends will know You love their quirks; Lord hear my prayer...
That my friends will be challenged beyond fear..."     "     "
That my friends will grow in simple wisdom...
That my friends find the gifts imparted to them...
That my friends find the laughter deep within...
That my friends find their voice...
That my friends dance and rejoice...
That my friends children find their seeliness...
That my friends see themselves and share the gift...
That my friends take time to walk in Your simple beauty...
That my friends love holy simplicity...
That my friends always remain seely...



Comments