The Visitation

 


When was it that you first called me? Fifteen years ago....more?

Your voice frightened me when I first heard the still, gentle call.

High in the loft, You woke me from a heavy sleep; 

Ask my mother. That in itself is nothing small.


You prodded, first in a whisper...then with a more urgent poke.

As the morning fog lifted, my dazed thoughts pushed back,

'But I don't know how. I don't know the way...' is what I spoke.

But you didn't listen. Or did you? You make up where I lack.


I recall thinking back, I spoke about this to your Spouse,

Your Father, Your Son.

I can continue in holiness without this can't I?

But in the end, Your persistence won. 


The morning was silent and still; birds at the feeder without a care.

I spoke to you for the first time; timid and small,

with a contrite spirit, as if somehow God would be angry.

Did I know then He wanted to give me His Mother, His all?


Did I know He cared enough to open mysteries

That only you shared as you pondered in Your heart?

Did I know He would bring me deeper still

Under Your mantle and in these mysteries I should take my part?


For days, and weeks You chased me down, every thought of You brought a tear.

Running to the chapel I sat alone...Dear God, what do You want?

Breaking the silent cry of my heart, calling out my fear...

A woman's voice, "Are you here to pray the rosary?"


"I don't know!" And pouring out my heart to this sweet motherly soul

of all the times I ran from the voice asking me to pray.

"Well honey? I think Mary is calling you."

Was all she had to say.


"Mary is calling you." Her words draped over me,

Soothing my tears as a peaceful balm filled my soul.

And now, entering into those days of old

To ponder anew those mysteries, I take a new role.


In the depths of these mysteries You are always near

And I see with new eyes what you reveal for me to see.

                          I remember well the day of Your Visitation, and with your kin Elizabeth

I say, "And who am I that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?"



JMJ

Feast of The Immaculate Conception 2020

photo credit: Betty Parquette

 


 

Comments